2.25.2010

Slippery... and Slidey..



So, to continue on our journey....

We planned to leave Hickory, NC on Friday morning to head to Jacksonville, Fl..... 
Things came up... as they ALWAYS do in our family, 
So we didn't get on the road until rush hour.
 
The two men involved decided that despite weather forecast
Calling for LOTS of snow along the east coast
That we were going to take the only non-4-wheel drive car
Our two families own.  
 The logic that we would beat the weather 
& not see very much of the white stuff on the way to...
Sunny Florida.
 
We cram as much as we can fit into
My dad's small bmw & hit the road. 
I planned to use the 7-hour travel trip to snooze,
Read a couple magazines, catch up on twitter, etc....

Laney on the other hand, had different plans in mind.   
She wanted to crawl around on my lap, 
Lick the windows, howl at odd things we passed, 
Jump from the front to the back...
To see if the view was any different ya know...
To be honest, I didn't mind... 
It was nice to have another female on board...
 Even if she barks & walks on four legs!

Little did I know... 
We were heading for a real adventure!  
 We drove through Charlotte...
A little of the white stuff falling...
But kept trekking.   
We got to Columbia...
Were covered in the white stuff… 
6 inches... or more to be exact.
The boys said, "ahhh, we can do it...
We will soon run out of the snow!   
Lets keep going."  So we did!  


 Next thing I know... 
We are sliding across a bridge
To avoid from hitting the car 
That was rammed into the guardrail
& blocking both lanes of traffic.

Before I realize what is going on,... 
My husband jumps out of the drivers seat
& turns over the reigns to my dad. 
Michael leapt over to the car stuck to try to help.   
All I could picture in my mind....
All the worst scenarios.
 
You have heard before of the friendly man that leaves his car 
To help others during torturous road conditions
& and ends up being knocked off the bridge to death
@ 4 levels above solid ground. 
 

I know... terrible, demented thoughts....

I just wanted off of that bridge!  & Quick!!


After a little time & a few extra prayers... 
They get the car moved enough that 
Others can pass by & we continue on our way.   
@ This point traffic is moving really slowly.   
We have been on the road 5 hours & gotten nowhere. 
  So,... we start comedy hour in the car, 
Take pictures of the scenes outside, 
Call our family to warn them
Of the mess we have gotten into.
Stop @ subway in ghetto'ville for dinner,
Lock all windows & doors...
Decide it is smart to keep driving!

 

  

2 hours later we are sitting in the same spot.
  After 7 hours in the car... only traveled 200 miles.... 
A hundred cars flipped or in a ditch,
People stranded left and right....


We make it to WALTERBORO, SC.

Have you over heard of this place?  I sure hadn't!!

Nonetheless, I begged we stop for the night!
My dad agreed, probably in fear that
I would be a pain in the %$# until we did.
 
Luckily, we found a pet friendly Best Western
& plopped for the night.... 
Besides the 4 hours without power
& the slimey cold shower, we were in business!

 



To be continued...


1 Comment:

Julia said...

this is too funny! i so agree that sometimes people (men) make choices that i don't understand.